- 3 Delicious Ways to Feature Pineapple at Your End of Summer BBQ
- Three Easy and Healthy 10 Minute Snacks Your Kids Will Love.
- The Perfect Summertime Picnic
- Celebrate National Grilling Month with Grilled Pineapple
- Pineapple Ice Cream, Summer’s Perfect Pairing
- Celebrating Great Outdoors Month
- This Summer’s Hottest Tips for Marketing Pineapples
- Honoring Costa Rica’s Vast Rainforests
- What’s Sweeter Than Pineapple?
- Perfect Pineapple BBQ Chicken Skewers
Tag Archives: Pineapple Centerpiece
This Tropical Fruit Has a Long History of Hospitality
If you’ve seen the television show Sanditon (based on Jane Austen’s unfinished novel of the same name), you may remember a scene in which a pineapple is sliced at a dinner party with great fanfare – and the horrible reaction when it’s revealed that it had rotted inside. The pineapple’s initial impressiveness and its rotten state were brought on by the same factor: that it took a really long time to bring the tropical fruit to England.
As with so many historical status symbols, rarity made the exotic pineapple a sign of luxury. In fact, for a while the fruit was so rare that most people wouldn’t eat it (which didn’t help with the rotting issue). Instead, they’d simply use it as a centerpiece, often rented for an event from the fruit’s owner. Whether used as a centerpiece or actually served, the pineapple became associated with hospitality and sparing no expense for your guests.
That association is still strong today, with the pineapple frequently appearing in (or on) hotels, buildings, restaurants and more. Charleston, South Carolina’s famous Pineapple Fountain is used as a symbol of the city’s notable southern hospitality, and gilded pineapples adorn the towers of St. Paul’s Cathedral in London. Around the world, the queen of fruits is known as a sign of warmth and welcome.(more…)
Celebrate Independence Day with Patriotic Pineapple Treats
It’s time to celebrate Independence Day the only way we know how: Family, friends, fun in the sun and plenty of home-cooked grub. No Fourth of July celebration is complete without a full spread of patriotic treats! Follow our lead to whip up perfect pineapple Fourth of July additions that will brighten up the picnic table.