The Perfect Pineapple Report 2020: Week 11
Click here to read this week’s farm report.
- An abrupt change in precipitation as we transition to drier conditions
- Only 4.3 mm ( 0.15 inches) of rainfall recorded
- Minimum air temperature continues low @ 21º C ( 69.9º F)
- Nighttime minimum temperatures dropped below 20º C ( 70º F)
- Farms implemented slight increase in harvest age – 54.3% harvested at 21 WAF, balance at 20 WAF
- All agricultural practices are up to date
- Forecasters are announcing the start of the “La Nina” weather pattern that should bring drier conditions to the Caribbean region but higher precipitation to the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica.
- Smaller sizes and reduced volume still impacting the production in the Caribbean area while production in the north-central region seems to be slowly improving.
- Supply of large sizes is short and not fully covering demand.
- Map of Costa Rica (below) showing distribution of the pineapple production by growing area
This entry was posted in This Week at the Farm
. Bookmark the permalink